Sunday, November 27, 2005

Not to worry

When I looked outside the window this morning and saw the glistening sun and gleaned magnificently warm weather, I decided that I'd stay in and write a paper instead.

So far, I've spent eight hours in front of the computer, an aggregate of 10 minutes in the bathroom, 15 minutes on the phone (thanks Mom) and 15 minutes on nourishment (cookies for breakfast, Asian noodles for lunch, pizza and salad for supper with tea interspersed between).

It was a long-haul of a day.

Now that I am done my monstrosity of a term paper, I have time to reflect on my week. My behaviour, quite frankly disturbs me. Boy am I looking forward to the holidays.

Unless I have class, I don't leave the house.
Unless I leave the house, I don't bother showering.
Unless I bother showering, I don't do my hair, and
At current, I am wearing the same pajamas I woke up in.

But not to worry - My social activities these days however are numerous, exhilarating, and provide me with a good outlet for my scholarly angst. For example, today they consisted of reading for pleasure (the newspaper, online), going for a stroll (to the kitchen and back) and getting some fresh air (by opening the window).

Ok, so it's safe to assume that this is bound to worry my parents and parents-in-law, and I write this with full knowledge that all four have access to this website. I would like to take a moment now to persuade them that this is all very temporary and within one week's time, I will be back to my showering, healthy-breakfast eating, jean clad, non-hermit state. The bliss that will be had! I'll go Christmas shopping; I'll sip gingerbread lattes; I'll sleep in until 10 am! I'll discuss politics with rigor and ... and ... right, I'll be marking papers. And exams. Joy. I forgot about that. Minor details really - I shall adorn the works of impressionable (or lack thereof) undergrads with my favorite red pen, and call it a week.

So let me revise then. After the week after that week, I will be free from the shackles of this intellectual vacuum and I will bask insatiable in the glory of the holidays and with relentless abandon.

You can bet on that.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow sima,
you not only scare your parents and parents-in-law... I'm petrified.

But i will be very much like you, but without the papers. I just get to bust out a wild equation and say that it solves the Navier Stokes equation. Without all the 5000 page chit-chat.

HAHA

12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, Sima. Can you say Stank Butt? I can smell it from here.

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could be worse.. you could be relegated to 4-6 weeks of nothing but bread, crackers, cereal, soup broth and juice. 4-6 weeeeeekkkkksss!

Yes. Food poisening sucks. Especially when it when it comes from food you bought at A & P.. ie not my fault! :P

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read this and thought of you guys.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20051130.wbeef1130/BNStory/National/

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home