Thursday, January 26, 2006

Stand up for Thursday, Canada

You know, Thursday is a pretty darn good day of the week. I think all too often, we overlook it, thinking past it to the weekend, to the highly coveted Friday night. Consider this: the Ottawa Xpress with its delicious food review (by none other than my last co-worker, Lucy) and Dan Savage Sex Advice Column (which this week might be politically suggestive instead of bedroom specific) gets print on Thursdays; The O.C. and the Office runs Thursday nights; Jonathan cooks; it's almost Friday, and it never ever rains.

Okay, that last one is a lie. I was getting desperate. I wanted a nice long string of items in my list. So I panicked and made something up. So what? Politicians do that all the time...

They also do this too - Uh, so thanks to Amish's excellent photo-tech advice (we love your camera-geekishness), our picture snapping is now oh-so-bright-white. Here is a picture of Jonathan's 3-second chop and drop spinach greens with orange and red pepper salad which he made tonight. Topped with a bit of balsamic vinegar, it is deeeeelish.

We also took a picture of Jonathan's chicken with eggplant and quartered tomatoes, but in retrospect, the picture looked ugly so we decided not to post it. Since the dish was very tasty and flavourful, it's safe to say that its beauty can only be captured in bites, not bytes. Hahaha. You will just have to visit our abode sometime to experience the real thing.

Jonathan forgot to set his alarm last night and missed his 8:00am bus to the ski mountains this morning. I was secretly happy because it spared me an entire day's tormented visions of Jonathan hitting a tree, Jonathan getting lost in backcountry and freezing to death, Jonathan falling off a cliff, and Jonathan being buried under an avalanche. Last night, Jonathan attempted to ease my spirits by saying, "You shouldn't worry - at least I'm going alone so you know that I won't be tempted into anything risky". Great. Just great. Isaac - I hold you personally responsible for that statement.

Well that's it I suppose - this was not much of a post. To be honest, it has been a long (rainy) day and oddly, no particular rant comes to mind. Well that's not true. I have one thing that had my blood boiling today. Today, Hamas won a majority in the Palestinian election. The entire process was remarkably peaceful and entirely legitimate. The voter turn-out was around 75%. That stated, I haven't heard a single newpaper run an article entitled "How wonderful. How wonderful for the Palestinian people that they have had their voiced heard and expressed peacefully in the successful and democratic election of their new government." Instead, we, the West, have stated that we will not recognize the Hamas government - all I have heard is what a travesty this is. After all, WE wouldn't have elected them, the Hamas. In secret, WE wish that WE could overthrow the democratically elected extremists, and force a corrupt-Fatah majority on the Palestinian people.

How undemocratic, hypocritical, ethnocentric, and selfish of us, the Western world. I need a smoke.

Well, that's it. Jonathan's in the midst of putting up a centre fold of Stockwell Day over the bed, so I must go stop him...

4 Comments:

Blogger Julien said...

Sima, if that "bytes" joke was an attempt to connect with the more "scientific" people in your family in friends, I think I speak for all of us when I say "Nice try, but no". Puns just won't do it. You might want to try some satire or black humour.
The one redeeming fact about your joke was that you only used 3 ha's. Any more than that would mean you found it absolutely hilarious. Oh and the lack of an exclamation point also helped. Keep working on your linking and networking skills, you'll eventually get on the right track. Some day.

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to know about the smoking (when did you start resorting to smoking to deal with politics?) and i found the bytes thing pretty darn funny. Almost fell off my chair. I guess julien is still in his first year so he wouldnt know. Oh well.

PJ

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have you know the last time we went skiing I spent the whole day in pain and Jon had not a thing to be unhappy about.

If you really want to get into the Koop Comedy Loop, it's easy. All you have to do is pick a contentious subject, outline a ten point manifesto as to why your outrageous (and probably completely wrong. Actually the wrongerer the betterer.) opinion is the Ultimate Truth. All that is left to do is present said manifesto to a panel of no less than three (3) Koops with an absolutely straight and serious expression. Then, as they say, the rest is history.

By the way, I can remember the last time Jon hurt himself skiing. A trip to the hospital by ambulance and a lot waiting later Jon was released and I laughed harder than I had in a long time. Good times. I just wish I could have witnessed the wipe out.

As for blameing me for the "won't tempted into anything risky." I take offense. My ideas weren't risky, they were stupid, moronic, suicidal, illegal, often times immoral and sometimes wrong. Not necessarily mutually exclusive but none the less, I object.

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im with Julien on the bites/bytes joke.

And I'm secretly wondering if the palestineans voted in Hamas purely for the irony factor.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home