Thursday, December 01, 2005

Holiday Greetings

Greeting Friends & Family,

In the spirit of Rick Mercer's Blog, I've decided to take up my wifely (my mother's going to love this one) duties and write our first ever annual Christmas letter.

Things are well in the Jima household. Eyebrows temporarily raised in class this morning, when Jonathan and I sat two chairs apart. Sherry skirted in just before the professor to steal the seat between us, to then ask "you guys aren't fighting are you?". I would add that all eyes were on us, but that would be unnecessary dramatic.

Jon and I, fight? Nay. We're scholars. We debate. We analyze. We deconstruct. We don't fight.

In this case, it wasn't a disagreement but rather, body temperature that was the culprit.
Allow me to explain, as I did to Sherry in class.

Jon grew up on a farm in Quebec. They had the cutest goats - you should really see the pictures sometime. But follow me on this; I'm really going somewhere. You see, I think this is why he always decides to sits at the back of the classroom as he did this morning - it's far away from the seats informally reserved for keeners, but more importantly, the back of the room is adjacent to the drafty windows, which only a tough I-milk-my-goats-at-6-am-on-frigid-winter-mornings young man could endure.

Frankly, on snowy Thursday mornings, my bones just don't fair well in such drafty conditions. After all, my people are from India...Certainly centuries of biological adaptation can not have been reversed in my first generational exposure at birth to a bit of prairie-frost. But I digress.

Anyways, the point being, Jonathan seems to do well, even thrive in cold climates and so you see the one seat distance between us in class was necessary for us to maintain our respectively ideal body temperatures while enjoying each other's company. After all, one can hardly be expected to engage in intellectual banter with cold ears and frigid feet?

But the morning, like the rest of the day is far behind us. With advent chocolate, left-over quiche, and balsamic greens, gurgling in our stomachs, we've decided to retire for the evening. Jonathan is furiously chipping away at his last two term papers, his final exam on Saturday, and his two take-homes due next week. I however, have spent my evening perusuing the web to avoid that single lingering take-home assign that I have due next Thursday. For me, life is good. For Jon, life will be better in a mere 7 days.

And my, what great things we look forward to. Next Saturday, the Sens play the Canucks - Jon will drink his first beer in a long, long time (followed by others, he says), we'll have some pre-game fish (and chips!) fresh right on the dock in Steveston, a fishing village on the southern tip of Richmond, B.C., and then we watch the game at Nat's humble abode, otherwise known as the final resting spot of the closest television owned by a family member.

In more Christmas-letter speak, looking back on the last year, we have many things to reflect on. An engagement, a wedding, a graduation, two new degrees and tons of scholarship money, a cross-country move, many missed friends and family, and one big blog. We miss you all - and can't wait to see some of you, like Emma in Toronto, Brendan in St.Catherines, and Katie and Ravi in Winnipeg. The rest of you, shame for not spending your hard earned Christmas bonus to be in all the places we plan on visiting this festive holiday season.

Currently playing: Kim Richey's "Reel Me In", a bit of slow and sultry jazz

Well, my good friends, this wasn't really very much of a Christmas letter, but indeed it's my first. And it is bound to get better. So stay tuned. Oak and 12th has yet to have the final word.

Merry Elexmas. (And go Green!)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What, yesterday I was the sole subject of an entire post and today bubkus. I feel slighted. Oh so slighted.

I told Jon I would try my best to make a stop in the Peg during the Holidays. See you then.

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bSimli,
You are an enigma
feminist and June Cleaver all in one pkg--

5:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh YEAH!! You're coming here, that's right. When again?? You'd better email me the dates, so I'm sure to be in the city...

Can't wait to see you!!!

Katie

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sima, its not a christmas letter unless you mail it out, and its got a picture of you and jon on the front of it wearing matching christmas sweaters. the picture, by the way, has to be taken at a sears photo studio, and there have to be screaming children everywhere. only then will it be a true christmas letter. once that has been done, you will truly join the ranks of other christmas letter senders.

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home