Saturday, March 18, 2006

How about "The Tug-boat Times"?

Yup, as Gujustud has so ominously pointed out, and as some of you might already know, the days of Oak and 12th are coming to an end.

No no no, we're not "shuttin er down". That would be silly. We love you and we love our blog. We just don't love our rent.


Rather, we love the bank very very much and expect to be in eternal debt to it.


Hey - did you know that 35-year mortgages were just introduced in Canada? That's right, all because of the crazy Vancouver housing markets, you can now pay off the last installment of your mortgage with your pension.

So after three weeks, or so, of hunting, a few leaky condo scares, and astronomical prices, we put an offer on a place on the banks of the Fraser.


Jon's choosing his words carefully but I've never been one to do so, so here it goes. We bought a condo! It's special and great and totally perfect for us (i.e. huge office space for daydreaming and scholarly writing with a cute little courtyard to accompany that cup of coffee, and the "Howdee Judy, how was Al's golfing trip? Is little Jimmy still teething?" early morning neighbourly banter).


Maybe Sima's getting a bit ahead of herself. Although Al's trip was probably fascinating (he probably shot a 75) , we still need to sign the final papers and get the keys - which should be done in the next 10 days or so.


Well... they did manage to take all of our money Jon...By the way, imaginary Al hit a 84. Is that bad or good, I'm not sure how golf works anyway...


Are we really still talking about Al? I hope our neighbours are more interesting than that. Here's the important thing: we are leaving the bright lights of Vancouver for the tug-boats of New West.


Oooh, you make it sound like a real adventure. One that actually only lasts a 15 minute Skytrain ride. We won't be too far away from the urban hippies, right Jonathan?

So given this change - we, the permanent editors of Oak and 12th have a challenge for you. We need to be "re-branded".


Aka, we're a company that accidentally defrauded our clients and are looking for a new handle to hide under. Hopefully no-one will retrace us back to Enron/Arthur Anderson/Martha Stewart/WorldCom.

Come on...what are you waiting for, start thinking.

Winner gets a framed photograph of their favorite inter-racial married couple.

[Editor's note: Jonathan only went along with this totally cheezy dialogue-style post because Sima pouted. So please don't get on Jonathan's case for being "this lame". It was all me, er, Sima.]

10 Comments:

Blogger Julien said...

Yes! Finally! I always thought a picture of former governator general Adrienne Clarkson and John Ralston Saul would look good on my mantelpiece. What? That's not who you meant? Aaah yes. Get with the times. Michaelle Jean and Jean-Daniel Lafond then. Sweeeeeet. And about the name, I'm going to have to think about it a little.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Julien said...

Newbie Cogitations. (Newbie as in New West)

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yuppie Times?

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off a few questions:

Are we limited to only traditional interracial marriages?

How about say..... George Clooney in Syriana (btw Sima - he was a CIA agent if you haven't figured that out yet) and Jim Carey from the Grinch (that counts as interracial right?).

As well, I assume this is a life size picture, because my brainstorming time is worth far more than a 5x8.

If you can't provide any of the above, find a way to throw Jack Bauer in. Preferably shooting something.

(FTR, a picture of you and jon is not sufficient - unless Jack Bauer makes a cameo)

And now, the ideas:

1) in keeping with the musings theme
"Musings from a Demented Mind: Footnotes by Jonathon Koop"

2) A little easier on the Sima bashing
"The by-product of political angst and too much caffeine"

3) Ripping off PJ
"The world through the eyes of a yuppie: Footnotes by Jonathon Koop" (or you could just replace it with yuppies if you want to be equally mean)

Or because Anika just called me a jerk for all my mean names, I'll try and offer up a real one...

..

Not working so well. I guess that's why I'm an engineer.

Anyways, how about....

Shades of Gray: A Colorful Commentary

You have the shades of grey bit - really looking at issues and the "colorful" writing style. Then you have your seemingly contradicting title, which I am told is artistic.

Or maybe I should just stick with making fun of people...

3:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like shades of grey, but I prefer 18% grey.

10:29 PM  
Blogger CreepingLily said...

I could definitely deal with Yuppie Times....

Seems appropriate to me.

18% Grey also seems quirky enough....

Fat-free and full of flavour?

As an aside, I am totally blogger-challenged! I can't seem to change my profiles, put titles on my post, or... well I am flabbergasted: you can rename the blog?

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

possibly a tad morbid considering recent happenings in the greater vancouver area, but how about:
Stayin' Afloat
or
Hee-Awwwwwwwww (think less Eeyore or cowboy and more tug boat)

- Brendan

1:49 AM  
Blogger stephen elliott-buckley said...

procrastinating from my paper proposal due tomorrow...how's yours coming, Jon?...i'm thinking...

"Beyond Sapperton"

"Nearly Sapperton"

"Past Sapperton"

"K is for Quay"

"Newly West"

"Westerly"

"Royal City Rockhouse"
[i have no explanation for where that came from, but i like it a lot]

"What BC Penitentiary?"

"Queen's Park Hustle"
[this one's growing on me too]

"Queen's Park: I SAID Queen's Park"

"Keeping up with the Burbs"

"No Liquifaction Here"

ok. back to work now.

12:55 PM  
Blogger CreepingLily said...

"Quay West"?

"2.5 Children Away from Average"

"Condoparadiso"

"droolings from the Quay"

God, I truly don't know. I spent the morning replying to this idiotic letter from this group promoting Canadian marriage through trying to help Harper ban gay marriage. FUN.

Also, as there are TWO posters on this blog, I vote that you post more often. Seriously, people, SLACKING off.

"West Coast Slackers"

1:50 PM  
Blogger stephen elliott-buckley said...

eschewing ALL of my suggestions, diane has decided that so far, "2.5 children away from average" is the best.

no pressure.

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home